By Roger Myrick
- the courting between homosexual id, language, and power
- cultural reviews of the ancient improvement of homosexual identity
- studies in future health conversation approximately HIV/AIDS and future health possibility communication
- the political outcomes of public future health schooling approximately HIV/AIDS on homosexual men
- the political effects of media representations of homosexual identification and its dating to ailment Based totally on the French student Michel Foucault’s severe, ancient research of discourse and sexuality, this ebook takes a well timed and unique method which differs from conventional, quantitative verbal exchange reviews. It examines the connection among language and tradition utilizing a qualitative, cultural reports procedure which locations medicalization theories within the broader context of histories of sexuality, the discursive improvement of up to date homosexual id, and up to date public health and wellbeing communication.Author Roger Myrick explains how mainstream conversation approximately HIV/AIDS relentlessly stigmatizes and extra marginalizes homosexual id. He describes how nationwide well-being schooling stigmatizes teams by means of associating them with photographs of affliction and “otherness.” Even conversation which originates from marginal teams, rather these hoping on federal money, usually participates in linking homosexual identities with disorder. based on Myrick, executive investment, whereas frequently useful for the continuation of community-based overall healthiness campaigns, poses seen and direct regulations on powerful marginal schooling. AIDS, verbal exchange, and Empowerment allows a rethinking of the way marginal teams can take keep watch over in their personal schooling on public overall healthiness matters. As HIV/AIDS circumstances proceed to upward push dramatically between marginalized and disenfranchised teams, research of overall healthiness conversation directed towards them turns into the most important to their survival. This ebook presents useful insights and data for students, pros, readers drawn to the connection between language, strength and marginal id, and for periods in homosexual and lesbian reviews, well-being conversation, or political communication.
Read Online or Download AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages PDF
Best gay & lesbian nonfiction books
Bruce H. Joffe is a school professor, consultant, and public relatives advisor. An enigmatic Jewish guy two times married and divorced, he grew to become a working towards Christian greater than 25 years in the past. this is often the tale of his redemption and private attractiveness.
Pictures of agony male our bodies permeate Western tradition, from Francis Bacon’s work and Robert Mapplethorpe’s photos to the battered heroes of motion videos. Drawing on views from various disciplines—including non secular stories, gender and queer reviews, psychoanalysis, paintings heritage, and picture theory—Ecce Homo explores the complicated, ambiguous meanings of the iconic determine of the male-body-in-pain.
Utilizing interdisciplinary functionality experiences and cultural stories frameworks, Laura G. Gutiérrez examines the cultural illustration of queer sexuality within the modern cultural creation of Mexican lady and Chicana functionality and visible artists. particularly, she locates the analytical lenses of feminist idea and queer conception in a relevant place to interrogate Mexican lady dissident sexualities in transnational public tradition.
Dry Bones Breathe: homosexual males developing Post-AIDS Identities and Cultures breaks new flooring in delivering an unique and insightful interpretation of homosexual men’s transferring adventure of the AIDS epidemic. From Dry Bones Breathe, you’ll achieve a deeper knowing of present neighborhood debates fascinated by circuit events, unprotected intercourse, and homosexual men’s sexual cultures, and you'll learn the way social, political, and biomedical adjustments are dramatically reworking homosexual identities and cultures.
- Forbidden Friendships: Homosexuality and Male Culture in Renaissance Florence (Studies in the History of Sexuality)
- Essays on Gay Tantra
- Trans: Gender and Race in an Age of Unsettled Identities
- Queer in the Choir Room: Essays on Gender and Sexuality in Glee
- Decolonizing the Sodomite: Queer Tropes of Sexuality in Colonial Andean Culture
Additional resources for AIDS, Communication, and Empowerment: Gay Male Identity and the Politics of Public Health Messages